Colonel Gregg J. Hesterman is the Commander, 178th Wing, Springfield Air National Guard Base, Ohio. As the commander, Hesterman is responsible for the execution of the multiple complex mission-sets within the 178th Wing. This includes the operation and mission employment of the MQ-9 Reaper as well as the 178th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group missions. These intelligence missions involve close coordination with their multiple mission partners to include the National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, the 659th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, Fort Meade, Maryland and the 432d Air Expeditionary Wing, Creech Air Force Base, Nevada.
Hesterman received his commission as a United States Navy Ensign through the Naval Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program at Iowa State University in December 1991. From there, he was assigned to Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla. to begin training as a naval aviator. In January 1994, he received his Navy wings at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas and was assigned to Fleet Reconnaissance Squadron FOUR (VQ-4), stationed at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma While assigned to VQ-4, Hesterman held multiple staff positions across the squadron. He also attained qualifications as an E-6A Mercury Aircraft Commander and Mission Commander. In February 1998, he was transferred to Flying Training Squadron Eight (FTS-8), at Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma to become a T-37A Tweet instructor. While assigned to FTS-8, he held multiple positions, attaining the role of Flight Commander prior to leaving the Navy in March 2001.
Upon his separation from the Navy, Hesterman joined the 121st Air Refueling Wing (ARW) as a KC-135 Stratotanker pilot. While assigned to the 121st, he held multiple positions to include Operations Support Flight Commander, Mission Support Group Commander and Vice Wing Commander. Prior to assuming command of the 178th Wing, he was assigned as the Vice Commander, 178th Wing, Springfield, Ohio.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Community & Regional Planning, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
1994 E-6A Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Tinker AFB, Okla.
1998 T-37B Pilot Instructor Training Course, Randolph AFB, Okla.
2001 KC-135R Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2002 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2003 KC-135 Combat Crew Instructor Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Air War College, by correspondence
2016 Safety & Accident Investigation Board President Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2016 CJCS Level IV Antiterrorism Executive Training,Washington D.C.
2017 MQ-9 Initial Qualification Course, Syracuse ANGB, N.Y.
1. December 1991-January 1992, Naval ROTC Detachment, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
2. January 1992-August 1992, Aviation Pre-Indoctrination, Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola, Fla.
3. August 1992-May 1993, Primary Flight Training, NASWhiting Field, Fla.
4. May 1993-March 1994, Intermediate & Advance Flight Training, NAS Corpus Christi, Texas
5. March 1994-September 1994, E-6A Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Tinker Air Force Base (AFB), Okla.
6. September 1994-February 1998, E-6A Aircraft & Mission Commander, Maintenance Officer, Operations Scheduling
Officer, Ground Safety Officer, Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron FOUR, Tinker AFB, Okla.
7. February 1998-March 2001, T-37B Instructor, Flight Commander, 8th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
8. April 2001 - October 2001, KC-135R Pilot, 166th Air Refueling Squadron, Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base (ANGB),
9. October 2001-April 2008, KC-135 Pilot, Instructor, Evaluator, 145th Air Refueling Squadron, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
10. April 2008-November 2010, Standardization & Evaluation Pilot, 121st Operations Group, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
11. November 2010-May 2013, Commander, 121st Operations Support Flight, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
12. May 2013-January 2015, Commander, 121st Mission Support Group, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
13. January 2015–April 2017, Vice Commander, 121st Air RefuelingWing, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
14. April 2017–November 2017, Vice Commander, 178thWing, Springfield ANGB, Ohio
15. November 2017–Present, Commander, 178th Wing, Springfield ANGB, Ohio
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 6,100 including over 220 Combat and 70 Combat Support hours
Aircraft flown: T-34C, T-44A, B707-320, E-6A, T-37B, KC-135R & MQ-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal with gold star
ROTC Naval Distinguished Graduate
Ohio Special Service Medal
National Guard Association of the United States, Life Member
Ohio National Guard Association, Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Ensign December 21, 1991
Lieutenant, Junior Grade December 21, 1993
Lieutenant December 21, 1995
Major November 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2009
Colonel December 20, 2013
(Current as of November 2017)